Public Works

Print More

Plastic bags/film: Plastic film, including bags, is the number one contaminant in the recycling stream. These items are recyclable but not in a single stream barrel. Plastic bags and film should be placed in the collection container located in a local grocery store.

Along the same lines, do not place your recycling in plastic bags.

Cooking oil: Granby DPW is now accepting cooking oil from residents. The oil should be brought to the Public Works office at 52 North Granby Road between 8 a.m. – 4 p.m., Monday through Friday. Do not leave cooking oil in the motor oil shed. Large quantities and oil from commercial operations will not be accepted. Please call Public Works with any questions.

Transfer Station: The Granby Transfer Station is open Saturdays from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Please bring proof of residency. Fees may apply. Check out the Public Works page at or call 860-653-8960 for more information.

Household Hazardous Waste: There will be three hazardous waste collections for Granby residents this year. The first will be held in late April at the Farmington Town Hall. Please check next month’s Drummer for the date.

Spring cleaning

As you are clearing out those closets and basements, please consider the following before throwing items in the trash.

Textiles and shoes should be recycled. It is easy; just fill up the pink bag from Simple Recycling and place the bag next to your barrels on the day your recycling is picked up. Torn and stained items are accepted. Oily or moldy items should go in your trash.

Paint is recyclable and accepted at the transfer station. For a list of accepted items check the Public Works page at or call 860-653-8960. Leaking, unlabeled or empty containers are not accepted.

Donate what you can. There are numerous charities in the area that accept household goods: Goodwill and Gifts of Love in Avon; ReStore and Covenant to Care in Bloomfield; Salvation Army in Hartford. 

If after donating and recycling you still have more trash than will fit in your barrel, stop by Public Works and purchase town approved extra-trash bags. They can be placed next to your barrel on trash day.