Avoid disappointment at the polls

Print More

Check your voter registration soon if you are planning to vote in April. To vote in the Democratic or Republican primary you must be a member of that party. Voters are encouraged to check their party affiliation online at sots.state.gov that is available 24/7. 

Unfortunately, the deadline to switch from one party to another has already passed. There is a 90-day waiting period for those switching political parties to attain party privilege, so anyone switching parties between Jan. 28 and April 28 will be ineligible to vote in either primary. Unaffiliated and new voters who register as Democrat or Republican by noon the day before can participate in the April 28 primary. 

In Connecticut those who are currently 17 years old but will turn 18 by Nov. 3 can participate in the primary if they register with a party by noon on April 27.

Same day registration does not apply to primaries. Registration must be completed by noon the day before the primary. For all primaries in the state of Connecticut, you must be a member of the party in which you wish to vote. State party rules prohibit cross voting in another political party’s primary. Unaffiliated voters are not allowed to vote in primaries. Currently 39 percent of Granby voters are unaffiliated, 31 percent are Republican, 28 percent are Democrats and 1 percent are minor party members.

To gain party affiliation, you can go online to fill out a voter registration card and check the box marked “party enrollment change” and be sure to write in a political party. The website is available 24/7 at: voterregistration.ct.gov/ until the postmark and online deadline to register to vote on April 23. The in-person deadline is noon on April 27. FYI: Party membership does not cost anything, nor are party members obligated to vote along party lines.