The annual Spring Flea Market will be held on Saturday, May 18, from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Hot dogs, soda and Mrs. Murphy’s donuts will be sold at the concession stand. Anyone interested in having a booth for the flea market, (20 ft. X by 20 ft. space), please contact Dave Laun at 860-653-3965 or Todd Vibert at 860-653-9506. Cost for a space is $30 and after May 5, $40. Anyone interested in donating items (no clothing) to the Historical Society may drop them off at the Salmon Brook Historical Society on Tuesdays and Thursdays between 9 a.m. and 12 p.m. Rain or shine, this Granby tradition will go on.
The third annual Car Show will be Saturday, June 8, from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. It will feature Model Ts, Model As, Rolls Royces, Packards, Oldsmobiles, Chevrolets and many more. All vehicles built prior to 1970 are welcome with a show fee of $5. Proceeds go to Salmon Brook Historical Society. Our concession will be selling Mrs. Murphy’s donuts, hot dogs and beverages. If interested call 860-653-9506 as space is limited. Admission and parking for the general public is free. Rain date is June 15.
The Summer Open House Tours begin Sunday, June 2. The society will be open every Sunday from 2 to 4 p.m., June through September, except Sept. 1. The special exhibit in the Preservation Barn is the circa 1830s Eight-Pointed Star Quilt along with a completely handmade reproduction lovingly made over the last seven years. The original quilt from Granby is extremely worn and may never have been displayed. Society member Alberta (Bert) Dinella spearheaded the reproduction with help from other SBHS members and area quilters. Come see the beauty and detail work put into this exquisite quilt. Along with the quilt exhibit, there will be a sewing exhibit featuring different types of textiles and an amazing variety of items used by women in their sewing projects. Also on display is a circa 1830s maternity dress. This beautiful green cotton print dress is in excellent condition and has Granby provenance.
Located in the Weed-Enders House, c.1790, is a Victorian Parlor and the museum store where you can find old maps, books about Granby, vintage cards and many more items. Attached is the Abijah Rowe House c.1732. This house has many original features and is furnished by donations from Mary Edwards. Upstairs you will find an antique dollhouse and doll collection.
The Colton-Hayes Tobacco Barn, 1914, houses a sample of Granby life of bygone years. On display are Indian artifacts, spinning wheels and other tools. Come see the recreation of an early meeting house, village store, dressmaker shop, shoemaker shop and creamery. The kitchen is filled with many antique tools, even a hand-cranked washing machine. The back side of the barn houses farm tools and machinery, including a huge hoisting wheel, hay rakes and forks, carpenter tools, cider mill tools, grist mills, blacksmithing, maple sugaring, hog slaughtering, bee keeping, harness making and ice cutting. There is also a large tobacco section.
Don’t miss the Cooley School House, c. 1870. This one-room school house was originally located at the corner of Cooley Road and East Street in North Granby. It was relocated to the society’s campus in 1980. Last year, the school was given a fresh coat of paint, both inside and out. The floor has been refinished and windows recaulked and energy saving window film applied. The Cooley School House is a favorite stop on the 2nd grade tours.
The society is located at 208 Salmon Brook Street. For more information, visit salmonbrookhistoricalsociety.org