Public Works

Print More

Household Hazardous Waste

Granby will once again work with local towns to host hazardous waste collections.  The first collection will be Saturday, April 27, 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. at 10 Monteith Drive in Farmington. For a list of accepted items, please visit the Public Works page on the Town of Granby website ( In 2019 there will be two additional hazardous waste collections held in Simsbury.

Yard Waste

Yard waste is banned from disposal in your curbside barrels. Grass and leaves are accepted free of charge at the transfer station. Brush is accepted for a fee; the charge is based on the size of the load. Wherever possible, compost yard waste on site. 


Speaking of composting, spring is a great time to start. Garden Gourmet composting units are available at the Public Works office weekdays from 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. They are available for the bargain price of $35 (tax included). 


If you have questions regarding recycling, visit Try the recycling wizard, a tool that allows you to ask about a specific item. If you still have questions, call Public Works at 860-653-8960. 

Do not bag your recycling: Plastic bags and plastic film are a major source of contamination for the recycling plant. No plastic bags should go in your bin. For advice on how to recycle plastic film, visit 

Street sweeping

Street sweeping of development roads will be conducted in early May, weather permitting.

Bulky waste

Please remember that you cannot dispose of large items in your curbside barrel. This includes items such as rugs, chairs, wood, etc. Items such as these cause issues for the trash truck. Bulky items may be brought to the Granby Transfer Station. Fees apply.