​Lost Acres Volunteer Fire Department lists December Responses

Print More
By Tim Rickis
LAFD responded to 22 calls between Dec. 8 and Jan. 11: six smoke detector activations; six carbon monoxide incidents; two dispatch & cancels; two mutual aid fire calls; two hazmat/chemical spills; one furnace fire; one brush fire; one power line down; one odor of propane.
LAFD wants you to be aware of carbon monoxide (CO) dangers. CO can come from furnaces, heaters, water heaters, generators, cars and grills. CO is of particular concern during cold weather when doors and windows are closed, and heating appliances such as wood stoves and furnaces are in full operation. Here are some simple tips to keep you and your family safe:
• You cannot see or smell CO; working CO detectors are the only way to detect it in your home.
• You should have working CO alarms outside every sleeping area, and on every level of your home.
• CO alarms should be tested monthly. If it is a plug-in type detector make sure it has a battery backup.
• If your CO alarm sounds, get outside to fresh air immediately and call 911. LAFD will meter your home to ensure the air is safe.
• Operate portable generators outside only. Check your furnace and fireplace for proper exhaust ventilation.
• Fix loose or broken pipes immediately.
• Never run a motor vehicle, snow blower or other gas powered equipment in a closed garage.
The Lost Acres Fire Department is Granby’s dedicated all-volunteer Fire Department, responsible for 24/7 life and property protection for our 11,000+ residents? It currently operates at an annual tax cost of less than $60 per household.