Social Services Column

Print More
Fuel Assistance: Applications for the CT Energy Assistance Program (CEAP) and the CT Heating Assistance Programs (CHAP) will be accepted until March 15. The CEAP/CHAP help households pay for primary heating bills. Applicants must provide: proof of income for all household members for the 4 weeks prior to the application date, proof of all assets, social security numbers for all family members, proof of rental or mortgage expenses and the current month’s utility bill. Please call the office for further information or an appointment. Income screening is available by telephone. Appointments are required to complete the application process.

Granby Emergency Fuel Bank: Please call the office for additional information and for eligibility screening. The Granby Emergency Fuel Bank is funded solely by donations and gifts from the community. If you wish to donate, please make the check payable to the Town of Granby Local Assistance Fund with a notation that it is intended for the Fuel Bank. Applications for Operation Fuel are no longer being accepted for the winter heating season.

Winter Protection Program: Participants in this program will be coded by the utility company and will not have their utility service shut-off between Nov. 1 and April 15. Households wishing to apply for Winter Protection must meet income guidelines and must provide proof of hardship to the utility company.

Granby Food Bank: This community service is offered by the VNA to any family or individual who may need assistance in meeting daily living expenses, particularly due to loss of income or Medicare/Medicaid limitations. Please contact the Social Service office for eligibility screening and registration.

The Soldiers’, Sailors’ and Marines’ Fund: Provides limited assistance to veterans who are residents of Connecticut, spouses living with the veteran at the time of the veteran’s death, and dependent children under age 18. For more information on program eligibility and benefits, contact the office.

Elderly and Disabled Homeowners’ Property Tax Relief: Applications will be accepted in the Assessor’s Office through May 15. Maximum income guidelines for the state program are: Married Couple – $42,200; Single – $34,600. Additional local benefits may be available. Contact the Assessor’s Office at 860-844-5311 for information.