Social Services

Print More

The focus of the Social Services Department is to coordinate existing federal, state, regional and local services, to increase community awareness of these services and to develop new programs to meet the needs of Granby residents. For more information about any of the following programs, contact Director Sandy Yost at
860-844-5351. Office hours are weekdays, 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Granby Local Assistance Program

Granby residents facing financial hardship may access funds once in a 12-month period. The gross household income cannot exceed 60 percent of State Median Income, unless extenuating circumstances can be documented. 

Elderly (65+) or Disabled Renters Rebate

Applications for the Renters Rebate program will be accepted through Oct. 1. Maximum income guidelines are: $45,800 for Married Couple; $37,600 for Single.

Applicant must have turned 65 years of age by the end of 2020. Persons under 65 years of age who are receiving Social Security Disability are also eligible.

Renters Requirements (not comprehensive):

 Must have rented in Granby, CT during 2020 and currently reside in Connecticut.

 Provide proof of rent paid in 2020. (e.g., rent receipts from landlord or cancelled checks).

 Provide proof of actual bills paid in 2020 for electricity, gas, water and fuel.

 Bring in proof of income. For example, Form SSA 1099, pensions, etc.

Resources and Services

Childcare: Additional resources and information regarding childcare can be found at the Office of Early Childhood at 1-800-5050-1000 or visit

Child Welfare Resources: Tools for supporting virtual times for families and child welfare workforce tools are available through the Child Welfare Information Gateway at

Domestic Violence: If you need help or just someone to talk to, please visit or call or text 888-774-2900. Advocates available 24/7.

Housing Resources and Utility Assistance Eversource: Contact our office for help with this or contact Eversource directly at 800-286-2000

Legal and Financial Information Legal Help: Greater Hartford Legal Aid is available to answer your questions about benefits that may be available to you, as well as other legal issues. For more information visit You can also visit Statewide Legal Services at or by calling 860-541-5070.

Mental Health and Emergencies: If you are experiencing a true medical emergency or crisis, please call 911 or proceed to your nearest emergency room. You can also access mobile crisis services by dialing 211.

Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-273- 8255

When it Builds Up, Talk it Out, a campaign launched by United Way 211 and DCF, you can talk to a professional by calling 833-258-5011 or

Rent Assistance: For those struggling with rent payments Unite CT assists households in the 80 percent of area median income range. For Granby, the income limit for single renters is $54,950; two persons is $62,800.

Applications require both a renter and landlord component and is completed on-line at

Unemployment: Guidance on applying for Unemployment can be found at or by calling 860-263-6000.

Food Resources

Granby Food Pantry: Located at 248 Salmon Brook Street. Food Pantry Hours: Tuesday, 10:30 a.m. to Noon and Thursday, 2 to 2:30 p.m. Before using the Granby Food Pantry, you must qualify with the Town of Granby Social Services Department. An appointment is necessary; call 860-844-5350 to schedule.

Waste Not Want Not Community Kitchen: Free meal available as drive up to pick up service every Wednesday, 3 to 5 p.m. at South Congregational Church, 242 Salmon Brook St., Granby. The meal is free, but an offering is always welcome

Mobile FoodShare: Every other Tuesday, 1:30–2 p.m. Please park behind South Congregational Church and Visiting Nurses Building only. Please remember to bring your own bags. For more locations or weather cancellations, visit

Weekend Snack Packs: Located at First Church, 219 North Granby Rd., North Granby. Every Friday, 3-4 p.m. Modeled after Hands on Hartford’s Backpack Nutrition Program, each bag will contain nutritious non-perishable snack packs for the weekend. Please enter church parking lot via North entrance on Stratton Road. Exit via North Church Road. Questions: Call First Church Granby at 860-653-4537.

SNAP: FoodShare will continue to facilitate SNAP applications by phone. For help with SNAP call 860-286-9999 ext. 104. This process will take approximately 30 minutes and FoodShare will mail you a packet to sign and return.