Public Works

Print More

July 4th: Please note there will be no delay of trash service due to the Independence Day holiday. Barrels must be out on your regularly scheduled day.

Road resurfacing: Each year the town focuses its paving resources on roadways that are in poor condition. This year various road resurfacing methods will be used to improve these roads. Weather permitting; the resurfacing will begin late July. Until that time please be aware of raised structures in the roadway. While work is in progress, you may experience delays or detours. The roads scheduled for repair are: Case Street, Edgerton Road, Bushy Hill Road, Barn Door Hills Road and Canton Road Extension.

Bridge work: Work has begun on Griffin and Hungary Road bridges. Replacement of Griffin Road Bridge is currently underway. Preliminary work has begun on the Hungary Road Bridge located near the Suffield town line. The tentative schedule calls for the road to be closed to all traffic for the removal/replacement of the bridge in September and going through until late November. 

Signs: Signs and flags are not permitted on telephone poles. The poles are property of the local telephone or power company. There is no permit that allows a sign or flag to be placed on a pole. 

Signs on the town green: Prior to placing a sign on any town property approval must be received from the Town Manager’s office. Guidelines are posted on the Public Documents page of the town website.

Ashes: Do not put any ashes in your barrel. A single ash can remain “live” —still able to ignite—for up to 96 hours. If a barrel is melted or damaged by ashes, the cost of replacing the barrel will be the responsibility of the resident.

Extra Trash bags: Large Purple bags are available for purchase at Granby Public Works, 52 North Granby Road, 7:30 a.m.–3:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, or from the Transfer Station attendant during Transfer Station hours.

Recycling: If you have questions regarding recycling, check out the website Try the recycling wizard, a tool that allows you to ask about a specific item. If you still have questions, call Public Works, 860-653-8960. 

Do not bag your recycling. Plastic bags and plastic film are a major source of contamination for the recycling plant. Plastic bags should never go in your bin. To see how to recycle plastic film, check out

DPW updates: For updates on the transfer station and other DPW events, check either the Granby website, or Facebook page, Granby CT Department of Public Works.