Public Works

Print More

Changes to trash service: Did you know that Paine’s has an alert system that will notify of any changes to service? This includes reminders as to whether a holiday will affect service. Sign up at

Snow removal: Please do your part in keeping our roads safe by not moving snow into or across the street as you clean your property. This creates hazardous conditions for motorists and additional work for our plow crew

Plastic bags/film: Plastic film, including bags, is the number one contaminant in our recycling stream. Yes, these items are recyclable but not in your single stream barrel. Plastic bags and film must be placed in the collection container located in your local grocery store. Along the same lines, do not place your recycling in plastic bags.

Cooking oil: Granby DPW accepts cooking oil from residents. The oil should be brought to the Public Works office at 52 North Granby Road between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m., Monday through Friday. Do not leave cooking oil in the motor oil shed. Large quantities and oil from commercial operations will not be accepted. Please call Public Works with any questions.

Transfer Station: The Granby Transfer Station is open Saturdays from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Please bring proof of residency. Fees may apply. Check out the Public Works page at the Town of Granby website ( or call 860-653-8960 for more information.

Household Hazardous Waste: During 2021, there will be three hazardous waste collections for Granby residents. The first will be held April 24 at the Farmington Town Hall. Paper shredding will also be offered during the event. Please check next month’s Drummer for more details.