Social Services

Print More

Director: Sandra Yost

Office hours: 8:30 a.m. – 4 p.m.

Telephone: 860-844-5351

The focus of the Social Service Department is to coordinate existing federal, state, regional and local services, to increase community awareness of these services and to develop new programs to meet the needs of Granby residents. For more information about any of the following programs, please call the office.

Granby Local Assistance Program: Granby residents facing financial hardship may access funds once in a 12-month period. The gross household income cannot exceed 60 percent of state median income, unless extenuating circumstances can be documented. 

Connecticut Energy Assistance Program (CEAP): During the winter months, help is available to households to help pay for heating fuel in the form of oil, gas, or electric heat. Benefits are available to households with incomes up to 60 percent of the state median income. Processing will be delayed if necessary paperwork is missing. Call office to see if your household qualifies.

Resources and Services

Childcare: Additional resources and information regarding childcare can be found at the Office of Early Childhood at 1-800-5050-1000 or visit

Child Welfare Resources: Tools for supporting virtual times for families, and child welfare workforce tools are available through the Child Welfare Information Gateway at

Housing Resources and Utility Assistance Eversource: There are COVID re-payment programs available. You can contact our office for help with this. You can also contact Eversource directly at 800-286-2000. For more information visit the PURA webpage at

Rent and Mortgage Assistance: The State of Connecticut has launched temporary housing assistance for renters and homeowners impacted by COVID-19. For more information on the program call 1-860-785-3111, Monday–Friday, 8 a.m.–5 p.m. This program is managed by the Connecticut Department of Housing and the Connecticut Housing Finance Authority.

Food Resources

Granby Food Pantry:Located at 248 Salmon Brook Street.  Before using the Granby Food Pantry, you must qualify with the Town of Granby Social Services Department. An appointment is necessary. Call 860-844-5350 to schedule appointment. Granby Food Pantry hours are Tuesdays 10:30 a.m. to Noon and Thursdays 2 to 3:30 p.m.

Waste Not Want Not Community Kitchen: Free meal available as drive-up to pick-up service every Wednesday, 4:30 to 6:30 p.m. at South Congregational Church, 242 Salmon Brook St. The meal is free, but an offering is always welcome.

Mobile FoodShare: Nov. 3, 17, Dec. 1, 15 and 19, 1:30 – 2 p.m. Please park behind South Congregational Church and Visiting Nurses Building only. Please remember to bring your own bags. For more locations or weather cancellations visit 

Life Church Hope 4 Life Food Pantry: Located at 23 Griffin Road. The food pantry is open on Wednesdays 2 to 4 p.m. to members of Life Church as well as anyone who is in need. No qualification necessary. Due to COVID safety concerns, we have a drive through service. Volunteer staff will place boxes of food in the trunk of your car. Each box weighs approximately 50 pounds. For more information, please call the church office at 860-653-3308.

SNAP: Foodshare will continue to facilitate SNAP applications by phone. For help with SNAP, call 860-286-9999 ext. 104. This process will take approximately 30 minutes and Foodshare will mail you a packet to sign and return.

Mental Health and Emergencies

Medical emergency: If you are experiencing a true medical emergency or crisis, please call 911 or proceed to your nearest emergency room. You can also access mobile crisis services by dialing 211.

Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-273-8255. When it Builds Up, Talk it Out, a campaign launched by United Way, 211 and DCF—you can talk to a professional by calling 833-258-5011 or

Legal and Financial Information Legal Help: Greater Hartford Legal Aid is available to answer your questions about benefits that may be available to you, as well as other legal issues. For more information visit 

You can also visit Statewide Legal Services at

Unemployment: Guidance on applying for Unemployment can be found at